Tuesday 5 April 2016

Wine of the Week: Elian Da Ros Le Vin est une Fête 2013

It will come as no surprise that I open a bottle of wine pretty much for any occasion….In all honestly, there does not even need to be an occasion… sometimes opening a bottle itself IS the occasion.  Besides the fact that wine is more enjoyable with food and vice versa, most of us have the idea that when we have something nice to celebrate we crack open a special bottle of wine and share it.  But, why? Where does this romantic notion come from? Why are the best wines we have, the ones we share? 

I guess for wine geeks and novices alike, wine can be seen as something nostalgic…. It takes us back to the winery we bought it from, or think about all the hands that took part in making it.  
Maybe the event of opening a special bottle will be what creates special moments and memories we will look back on at a later time.

Like life, wine is something to celebrate - without needing a cause.  We never know where this crazy ride will take us, so should we live in the moment? Love in the moment? Save every single dime we have and never end up enjoying any of it?  Do we hold on to a wine and wait for the perfect moment to drink it, though that may never come?  Maybe the best thing to do is to find that middle ground.


I have only a few ‘special’ bottles tucked away in my cellar, and I look forward to the day I can open them. I wait, not because I do not want to share them.  In fact, it is the opposite. I wait until the wine is ready to drink and so that I CAN share them.  Some will be opened with my ‘wine’ friends and it could very well be the conversation piece for the entire evening. (Yeah - we go on with wine lingo that would put most non wine drinkers to sleep.  My good friend Erika can attest to that.)  Some others will be opened when the time is right, when it feels right.

Not too long ago I did that very thing.  I had the pleasure of opening something for a friend who was not at all into wine, but it was the perfect opportunity to share it and create a memory I will forever look back on. I knew the wine was fab. I knew I would enjoy it, and I was confident that she would too.  

We didn’t talk about the wine. A simple, “ This is really good.”, was all that was said about it. I did not feel as though it wasn’t appreciated by her, I knew it was.  On my part, I just wanted to share something of quality, unknowingly to them.  The sharing of the wine and time spent together WAS the celebration. Life was the celebration.

My wine of the week is the Elian Da Ros  Le Vin est une Fête 2013.  It is affordable, ready to drink, and totally packed with flavour and freshness.  The perfect wine for every palate.

Abouriou is put in closed vats with whole clusters and vinified using semi-carbonic maceration. Maturation of twelve months in used foudres and barrels. Bottled unfined and unfiltered in December 2014.

Purple with ruby hues, the bouquet is pretty, generous and pick up notes of ripe red cherry, violet with a touch of spice.  Plush and full, there is a generous amount of fruit such as red cherries, blackberry, plum and spice, highlighted by a fresh acidity.  The palate is playful and juicy with a finish that is long,supple and silky.  Drink now or within two years.  I just love this one.....


Wine: Elian Da Ros Le Vin est une Fête 2013
Grapes:  40% Abourio, 40% Cabernet Franc, 30% Merlot       
Alcohol:13.5%
SAQ Code: 11793211
Price: $21.00

Agent: réZin

http://www.eliandaros.fr

http://www.rezin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment