Saturday 23 April 2016

Wine of the Week: A.A. Badenhorst Curator Western Cape 2013

What is a curator? A curator, let’s say for the sake of this post, is someone who finds the best things in a given category, and builds them into a collection.  The men in my family are curators of sorts…. A seal pelt here, moose antlers over there, and perhaps even a rabbit’s foot hanging on a key chain or two. 

I love moose.  I love their big heads and those dangly beards on males, and although I do not have a huge display of antlers on my living room wall, I happen to love the taste of the big fat moose steak every now and then.  The way I see it - as long as I am on top of the food chain, I will enjoy whatever the heck I want. Seal, caribou, porcupine, geese - you name it, it’s all at my disposal and I think I have found the perfect wine to pair with all those proteins. At $14.30 a bottle, it’s also one that will leave me with a bit of spare change in my pocket.

Recently released at the SAQ, Adi Badenhorst’s 2013 Curator is a really nice wine, especially for the price.  It is big and bold - just the wine you want as your partner in crime for your next BBQ, and it would be perfect for any wild game or hearty steak.  You may want to hurry though.  There are limited quantities at SAQ stores and once word gets around about how great it is…..BOOM! Gone.


An interesting red hailing from Swartland, South Africa, this wine is a little bit different and can raise a few eyebrows (in the best possible way) when sharing with friends. Made with a blend of EIGHT different varieties, grapes were hand picked and cooled overnight before being de-stemmed and put into tanks for fermentation.  Curator is matured mostly in concrete tanks and old casks, and blended  early so that the components get some time together to integrate properly before the wine is bottled.  Approximately 15 months maturation.  

Medium purple in colour, with ruby hues.  The nose mirrors the palate here: Loads and loads of blackberries, blueberries, with smoke signals in the distance. There is meat, there is spice, there is just the right amount of acidity and medium grained tannins adding a lovely rustic texture. The finish is balanced, fun, pleasant and juicy. Drink now or within the next 3-4 years.  Pleasantly, pleasantly surprised. Amazing wine for the price.

Wine:A.A. Badenhorst Curator Western Cape 2013
Grapes:  61% Shiraz, 20% Cinsault, 6% Mouvedre, 6% Grenache, 3% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Tinta Barocca, 1% Carignan, 1% Pinotage     
Alcohol:13.8%
SAQ Code:12819435
Price: $14.30

Agent: Symbiose Vins et Cies

www.symboisevins.com

No comments:

Post a Comment