Wednesday 13 January 2016

Wine of the Week: Domaine Tetramythos 2014 Roditis

It’s mid January and I have been craving a bit of summer lately. Sometimes, the remedy for the winter blahs can be as simple as opening a bottle of wine, and there can be few better choices than those from Greece.  Put simply they are pure, bright, delicious and very affordable.  Take the Tetramythos for example - a clean, pure expression of the roditis grape variety - native to Greece.  There are so many different native grape varieties to try like assyrtiko, xinomavro,  and robola to name a few! For the wine lover, it can be super exciting! Greek wines go  particularly well with seafood - no wonder considering their proximity to the ocean.  

 

Time is a luxury with a toddler - no time to search for my usual tasting journal.  My son was napping so I grabbed Jake’s colouring book that was right next to me and began to taste.  What a stunning little wine this is: I was so delighted to be sipping on it as the winter sun was pouring into the dining room. (I thrive on this, considering on a good day, it’s -35 with wind chill here in the north.)  It’s pretty, expressive, refreshing and just what I needed to remind me that summer will eventually be on the way. And at the price tag of only $16,  I need to stock up for those days on my terrace that’s waiting for me.


Pale light lemon in color, with a nose displaying pretty delicate notes of white flowers,perfume, citrus, hints of white pepper and chalky white soil.( Fitting as the soil in Patras are chalky.)  On the palate, it is light, fresh, and cuts right through to citrus.  The acidity is welcoming with the salty minerality that is present.  All is in perfect balance with a pleasing finish.  Summer in a glass.  

Wine:  Tetramythos Roditis 2014
Producer: Domaine Tetramythos
Grape: Roditis
Alcohol: 12%
Price: $16.10
SAQ Code: 12484575

Agent: Oenopole

No comments:

Post a Comment