Tuesday 30 July 2013

My First Month in Melbourne




Yep, it’s been almost a month since I arrived in Australia and, although it is still new to me, I like it here.  FYI, this post entry will jump around a bit, like an ad hoc summary of how things have been going since moving down under.  Think of it as grabbing a cup of java with me on break during a busy day at work :). 

That said, let's get started!


So, I live in a two-bedroom apartment with my housemate Lachie, who is an environmental engineer and grew up on a farm not far from the city.  Super nice guy, with a great sense of humor, infectious laugh and an equally contagious smile.  I wish I could say it’s been great getting to know him. I wish I could say that because I hardly see him!  We have completely different schedules – by the time I wake up in the morning, he is already out the door, and when I get home late at night from the wine/cheese bar, he’s fast asleep. Every now and then I shoot him a text to let him know I am still around and have not fled the country.  It’s a cool apartment, with a balcony overlooking the front garden full of various plants, trees and pink flowers.  I look forward to the weather warming up so I can go sit out there and take it all in.

Pics of my building:




I’m not  that far from work –  a tram gets me to Milk the Cow in about 15 minutes.  The tram system here is fairly efficient once you learn how it works.


I am happy to report my work is still pretty freakin’ amazing.  I am slowly learning about all the different kinds of cheese, and which type is suited for a particular wine, beer or spirit.  The staff at Milk the Cow could not be nicer – everyone is so pleasant, fun, and great at what they do.  They have been very patient with me as I learn the ropes. The fromagerie/wine bar is in a prime location: an amazing view of Albert Park right across the street with a super cool view of the city just behind it.  We are located on a trendy street in St. Kilda, and the beach is only minutes away! I think the place is busy now, but something tells me it will be a real hot spot when summer arrives!!!

The Cheese Counter





One of the wine and cheese flights.



A view from outside...

 One of the fondues...




And now, some odd things I have noticed since being here:

·      Virtually all restaurants are gluten-conscious, in some capacity or another.  So, either there are a lot of people who are avoiding wheat, or there is a serious celiac epidemic going on.  I don’t remember seeing this on menus in Montreal...


·      Locals are extremely friendly. I have yet to meet a person who has been rude, impatient or unpleasant.
  Everyone is smiling, sociable and happy. Even the free-range eggs have smiley faces on them!

·      And, speaking of eggs, I have never had better-tasting eggs and avocados as I have here.


·      The media are constantly talking about "boat people."  As it turns out, Australia is hit with massive waves of illegal immigrants hoping to get here on ships and other vessels. It’s a hot-button topic everywhere you go.

·      Raspberries cost $9.0 per pack. Forget it.

·      There is no central heating.

·      The toilet does not flush in any other direction except down.

·      Average daytime temperature is about 15 degrees – it’s their winter.

·      This city has some of the most beautiful people I have ever seen (sorry Canada).  I have heard that Montreal has some of the best looking people in Canada, but Melbourne has got nothing on them.  The women are gorgeous, always well-dressed, with immaculate hair and make-up!  As for the men...  Let's just say they aren’t hard to look at :). 

·      Locals love their coffee, and are very specific about how they want it.  I had no idea what a long black was, a short black, a chai latte, a skinny something or other.

·      Locals also love their Australian / NZ wine.  Very few people venture out of their usual Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc or Coonawara Cabernet.  Even so, I often try to get people out of their comfort zone and push the grüner vetliner, vouvray, or nebbiolo.


·       And I absolutely LOVE my job. 
     

Andrew at the cheese counter:






Cheers!

1 comment: