Monday 1 July 2013

Melbourne Bound!


I have left my job.

Seven years teaching high school kids in Montreal have been stashed away in a chapter now known as my past life.  My car, furniture, and most of my belongings have been sold, replaced by a  ticket to Melbourne, Australia.  My family and friends think I’m brave, adventurous, bananas, you name it.  Some, like my friend Vera who labels everyone, say I am a novelty seeker (thanks Vera!) Well it’s likely I am all those things, considering I’ve never visited the country before, sans contacts and job.  

No worries though, as the Australians would say! I am certain only great things are in store for me once I arrive. My passion and love for wine have lured me to the land Down Under and, as a recent sommelier graduate, I hope to snatch a job at a restaurant or winery.   

For fun, I will be exploring the gastronomic culture that Melbourne is so famous for.  There will be posts on restaurants, cafés, wine bars and the like.  I don't pretend to pass off as a professional food critic (God knows I am not getting paid for it), but it will be harmless fun to comment and deconstruct new recipes and drinks, especially in a city that is not my own. 

So, Outback, here I come and bring on the kangaroo! I wonder, do the Aussies really eat these nimble, beautiful creatures?  I guess I’ll find out soon.  After all, they could ask the same question about Canadians eating moose.  Let’s be honest though – when was the last time you had moose steak on your plate?!

Oh and the wineries! I hope to visit as many as possible in South Australia and Victoria, so please feel free to share any hidden or not-so-hidden treasures. 

A Walk on the Wine Side is a blog meant to document my time spent in Melbourne over the next 6 months. Please feel free and share it with family, friends, or anyone else interested. 

Cheers! M.

No comments:

Post a Comment