Monday 14 December 2015

Parés Baltà



As a wine lover, one of the most rewarding feelings is discovering a new wine that I absolutely go crazy for.  It is easy to get enthused by something I haven't tried before, especially if it’s good.  However, every now and then, I get a sweet taste of something that stops me in my track  and I say, “ What is that?!”.  A good wine will make me happy. A very good wine does the same, but with an added, unexplainable sensual experience - a gratification and spark of something that simply resonates deep within me.  It is as if I am some way connected to that wine. This was my experience with Parés Baltà's Pink Cava. 


Following a recent WSET 4 exam, my study partners and I celebrated another unit out of the way by sharing some of our favourite bottles.  My pal David introduced the Cava, and assured us we would love it - and so we did. So much so, I bought a case to bring back with me to the north. ( I am a sucker for bubbles, and ever more so for pink bubbles.)  And do you know what made this wine taste even better?!? Meeting one of the producers, Joan Cusine Carol only a couple days later at La Grande Dégustation in Montreal.

His wines are as energetic and enthusiastic as he is.  This was immediately evident as he spoke  passionately and deeply about his work and the winemaking philosophy behind it. Parés Baltà is an organic/biodynamic run family affair.  Located  only 55 km south of Barcelona, the winery was established in 1790 and is now under management by Joan and his brother Josep.  The role of winemakers goes to Josep’s and Joan’s wives, Marta Casas and Elena Jiménez.   Once a pharmacist and chemical engineer respectively, their passion and love for wine led them to the vines and they are now completely involved in all projects Parés Baltà.

photo: Parés Baltà

With bees pollinating the vines, and sheep to fertilize the soil, the vineyards are certified biodynamic and wines organic. Making wine in this way does not feel like extra work for them, because it is the way it has always been and always will be.  It is their way of contributing to a healthier population and planet - not to mention how this is reflected in the quality of their wines. Pure, clean, and expressive - the samples I tasted at La Grande Dégustation were very exciting.  

My favourites:

Calcari - 100% Xarel-lo

Pale yellow in colour with bits of green tints.  The nose and palate displayed delicate citrus of lime and tangerine.  There were hints of white fruit such as pear and quince. The acidity is welcoming,refreshing and bright.  The burst of salty minerality leaves a lasting impression.( Calcari mean calcareous in Catalan)  

After a light maceration of four hours, the grapes are pressed and then fermented in stainless steel tanks for 21 days at average temperature of 16 degrees Celsius.  After fermentation , contact with lees for four months with a daily bâttonage.  

I had never tried Xarel-lo on its own before - it is a grape normally found as a blend in Cava from Spain.  I was certainly not disappointed and I am now on the look out for a bottle at the SAQ.  ( SAQ Code: 11377225 $19.25 )


Cava Pink Rosé

Grenache - 38%, Parellada - 32%, Maccabeu - 30%


Pale salmon in colour with a tinge of orange.  Bubbles are fast and persistent. 

The nose displays a medium intensity of wild raspberry and cream. Crushed stone and a touch of chorizo,  with a slight herbaceous note.  Complex, vibrant and intense.  

On the palate, the bubbles are persistent and playful.  Fun texture.   The raspberry and strawberry red fruit is framed by bright acidity and touch of spice.   Loads of minerality, crisp.  Offers lively energy with a clean, medium finish.  

Alcoholic fermentation at 16 degrees celsius in stainless steel tanks for two weeks.  Second fermentation in the bottle.  

Private Import: Trialto  $19.95

Every time I open a new bottle, there is always something new to discover. Could be bottle variation, could be me.  All I confidently say is that this is a beautiful example of what all Cava Rosé should be.  The influence of the Grenache is key in this wine and it  creates something truly unique and special.  

It certainly has personality… stock up folks.  


The wines of Parés Baltà are wonderful, especially for the price.  Behind all the hard work and ethics, behind their wine making…..is a family who has a love for what they do.  It is a story of passionate people tending to soil, the grapes, the wine and it is fortunate people like you and me who get to taste it. 

photo: Parés Baltà

1 comment:

  1. I was fortunate to be given a bottle of Parés Baltà's Pink Cava as a present. Reading your blog, I am looking forward to sharing this Pink Rosé in the company of my wife. I wonder if we will encounter also the "added sensual experience" as you put it so nicely in your blog.
    I enjoy your blog and keep up the rich and fruity flavour.

    ReplyDelete