Tuesday 29 December 2015

Wine of the Week: Closson Chase 2013 Chardonnay

Recently I have been introduced to some beautiful examples of wine that are made right here in my own backyard of Ontario and Quebec.  Bachelder, Pearl Morissette, Carone to throw out  few names..... But it when comes to Chardonnay, PEC's Closson Chase has got to be, hands down, the best I have had from Canada, and that goes for a few years running now.  


My pal Mr. B was the first to introduce me to CC's Chardonnay, just before my stint in Oz. After going to PEC for a long weekend, he came back with at least a case of the stuff and I was considered a good enough friend for him to give me a bottle.  He was very enthusiastic about the wine and swore to me I would fall in love with it.  Thank you B.... Forever grateful. I remember my first taste of it like it was yesterday. I was at my parents summer cabin where they use to fish lobster for a living. I had before me the freshest lobster one could ever dream of - and a bottle of Closson Chase 2010 Chardonnay. What a pairing - It left such an impression,          that I am still getting pleasure from that bottle of wine.

Fast forward to December 2015, and once again, the Chardonnay was accompanying snow crab that, "ahem" magically appeared before me.  I feel a connection between the wine and the food here: salty air, fresh fish and cool Canadian wine just seem to fit together.  
   
   

Founded in 1998, Closson Chase is located in Ontario's Prince Edward County - roughly a 4 hour drive west of Montreal.  They do not have a huge variety of wines to choose from, as they only make Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, but I believe this is key to the quality, beauty, and success of their wines. They do only 2 varietals, but damn they do it well.  The Closson Chase team know the land, the soil, the vines. At their vineyard in PEC, limestone bedrock with stony soil make up the appellation and vines produce low yields of grapes with excellent fruit concentration.  Their team is confident that the combination of the site, soil and grape varieties influence the style of their exciting wines.  In addition to its estate grown wines, they also produce wines with grapes sourced form the Niagara Peninsula, sub-appellation from Beamsville Bench. 

Pale gold in colour, the legs are thick and slow to run down the glass.  The nose displays medium fruit intensity of candied lemon, cream, and flirtatious honey.

On the palate the fruit is generous with ripe tangerine, sweet pineapple and cream from malolactic fermentation.  Oak definitely plays a role but marries well with the fruit, bright acidity and leaves a creamy thick mouthfeel.  The finish is long and light, a fine example of finesse and elegance.  Careful with the cork on this one -  it was a bit damp and fell apart 
when opened.

 

This is a beauty of a wine, and I am so excited and proud that it is made right here in Canada.  Up and coming Prince Edward County has some amazing wines to offer, and I am making sure that I pay them a visit this coming summer.  

Wine: Closson Chase Chardonnay 2013
Producer: Closson Chase
Grape: 100 % Chardonnay
Alcohol: 12.5 %
Price: Sold out at the Closson Chase winery.  Available by the case at Sélection Caviste : http://www.selectioncaviste.com/fr/
Buy Again: Absolutely!


http://clossonchase.com

No comments:

Post a Comment